Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Blood of the Lamb Laundry Detergent

So there we were, sitting in church today, and they started that Power in the Blood hymn. You know, the one that goes ...

... There is pow’r, pow’r, wonder-working pow’r
In the blood of the Lamb ...


and

... Would you be whiter, much whiter than snow?
There’s pow’r in the blood, pow’r in the blood ...


so I leaned over to Leece and whispered, "That would make a good laundry detergent."

"Blood of the Lamb" laundry detergent; gits yer wash and yer soul whiter than snow with its wonder-werkin' pow'r, pow'r, pow'r ...".

Leece giggled. And giggled some more.

I moved closer to her. God's targeting instrumentation is pretty high grade stuff, and though he's usually - I think - careful about collateral damage, nonetheless if there were to be any instantaneous smiting, I wanted a human shield.

It was probably unnecessary; after all, you can argue that it was God that taught Kafka a thing or two about humor.

Then they started the refrain from How Great Thou Art, this version:
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Yeah baby. I love that one. I think most hymns are generally a bit on the simpleton side, but that one really works for me. You can ride down a country road here in The Holy Land and belt that refrain out like you really mean it. And then the parts about the stars, the rolling thunder, birds and lofty mountain grandeur ... yeah baby.

These are some of the ones that move my soul:

How Great Thou Art
Amazing Grace
Eternal Father, Strong to Save
Mansions of the Lord

And Mighty to Save ain't too shabby, either. Of course, Hillsong could put one of Paula Deen's recipes to music and make it sound good.

This is a nice one from the communion service today:

My Hope